View Single Post
Old 2011-06-03, 23:17   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A 20 minute episode of anime would require 14,400 separate drawings at *12* frames per second (decent anime is usually 24fps or better) .... not saying it isn't impossible but other than a college team doing it as an arts project I find it difficult to visualize a "hobbyist" effort even with the latest software art tools.
Indeed, which is what makes Makoto Shinkai's breakthrough feat as an independent animator that much more remarkable.
After graduating from the university (1994), Shinkai got a job in a computer game company and learned CG for five years by making video clips for games and graphic design including web content. He made many wonderful video clips for games, but they are short ones for about several minutes, so he felt dissatisfied. He wanted to make longer anime to demonstrate his creativity and imagination.

He had been making paper-play like CG works during his school days with a computer. From 1997, he began to make short CG anime on his private time. After some studies such Tooi Sekai, he made a short five-minute anime film
Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko (She and Her Cat).

She and Her Cat won awards in some contests. However, the biggest rewards he got from this film were not awards but Mr Hagiwara (who later became his producer) and CoMix Wave (company of copyright management and produce).

I doubt there are many people masochistic enough to make their own anime "for fun", though I could of course be wrong. We have at least one known student animator in this forum, C.A., so who knows? Maybe he has created some of his own in his spare time.

In the meantime, you may be interested in this thread that popped up in the General sub-forum late last year, about an amazing short created by a trio of Taiwan film-art students: Out of Sight.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote