View Single Post
Old 2006-07-31, 00:16   Link #31
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
That scene remeinded me of some loyalty test i have read about from diffrent countries in the past. where one would inficict harm upon themselves to prove loyalty or to achieve adult hood.
To be honest, I felt the same way. I hope Shion doesn't feel too much pain afterwards, honestly... Having someone do that to you is one thing, but hurting yourself that much is another. Anyway, about that loyalty test, I recall that after the Sophomore boys pulled a prank on a teacher (they wroter over his car), the male teachers all got them together and had a long talk. Somewhere during the talk, we came across a story by our biology teacher (I respect this guy greatly) and he told us about his trip to Africa as a Peace Corps. Apparently he got the chance to see this tribes loyalty test where they had to...circumcize... a boys genitals. Painful? YES. The only painkiller was one could bucket of water... After that experience, the boys were then considered men. Going back to Shion, I believe that she proved herself. My respects, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Spoiler for Where to begin:
Regarding Shion, we pretty much have the same opinion. The Arc did a good job with the "distinctions" placed upon Shion, so I won't go any further.

Hmm. About the book, I know nothign about it, but I certainly would love to read it too. Sadly, I'd bet it would be only in Japanese and given that, it would be a tough read for non-Japanese speakers.