View Single Post
Old 2009-11-11, 13:22   Link #1077
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think you are all missing something. Nowhere in the manga does it explicitly say that to become a sacrifice, one has to perform human transmutation. But it does say that one has to open the Gate (the reason why Mustang was preferable over Kimbley, remember?). Human transmutation is the easiest way to do that, of course, but not the only. Hohenheim proved that. Pride is performing human transmutation using Goldtooth. The transmutation is probably to either heal Wrath (who, as a single-soul homunculus is probably "equivalent" to a single human in alchemic terms) or "transmute" Roy similar to how Ed transmuted himself to get out of Gluttony. The reason is unimportant. Roy is going along for the ride as with Hohenheim at Xerxes (or possibly Al in Resembool). The end result is that Roy ends up on the other side next chapter and has to open the Gate to get back. Wrath will convince him to do so, probably by informing him (likely truthfully) that they can just as easily have Goldtooth heal himself with Roy as the toll and that this way Roy at least has a fighting chance. Thus Roy becomes a sacrifice.

Of course it will all backfire (no pun intended), since Roy will as a result probably learn a much easier way to produce fire than the one he has now... ^_^

Unfortunately, ignored in all of this plot development is Arakawa's genius at composition. Is that shot of Pride holding the impaled Goldtooth over Wrath and Roy not just a thing of (undeniably creepy) beauty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Babyy View Post
I'm sure we're gonna get more than that. =]
I'm not. Every time a new chapter comes out it feels like we're two chapters closer to the end, as Arakawa manages to logically cram more into each one. The only three loose threads I see remaining are the specifics of Father's plan, the current whereabouts of Al (most likely answered already in the opening shot of the chapter) and (possibly) the further extent (if any) of Mustang's knowledge of Hawkeye-sensei's alchemy (I still think there's more to that). Everything else will be logically resolved dependent upon which of the protagonists survive the end and how they defeat Father.