View Single Post
Old 2012-08-18, 18:42   Link #9516
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
The type of peace CG suggests is complete world peace, which never happened in reality.
Curiously enough, that's not exactly the conclusion I reached from what Lelouch said to Schneizel, what Lelouch said to Suzaku, what Cecile said to Rakhasta and what Kallen narrates during the epilogue. If you add all those together, I would say the suggestion is more nuanced than that, not just "instant peace from Chile to Madagascar, no problems included" until the end of time.

If you want to bring up reality despite its limited use, there have been shorter or longer periods of time without any major international wars, which is essentially what Lelouch wanted to stop more than anything else, and all the ending tells us about the nature of the current period of peace. The UFN isn't fighting Britannia, Britannia isn't fighting Japan, and even the E.U. is presumably trying to rebuild itself off-screen into something resembling unity. From what little we get to see, they are in fact at peace for now. Doesn't mean there can't be local conflicts at a much smaller scale, nor another world war in ten, twenty or fifty years. We just don't know what will happen, so it's silly to make statements of fact about this.

In a way, I sort of want them to make an R3 after a few more years, without contradicting anything that happened during the show and actually having Suzaku play the role assigned to him by Lelouch, just to prove that this isn't such a big deal in the long run. I may not wish to see it for other reasons, but that's another matter. Speaking of Suzaku...

Quote:
Under the system or not,Lelouch would work out better as Zero for the sake of a single, autonomous, strategic and charismatic figurehead, while Suzaku could remain a knight. Preservation of proficiency.
Lelouch could be better, at first glance, but that doesn't mean Suzaku can't do anything at all, when the new Zero is basically more of a knight (his role is to protect the peace and fight for justice) than a rebel mastermind (who wants to bring down the system even using dirty tricks). He's not completely alone in doing that either.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote