Thread: Licensed R.O.D. TV [Spoilers]
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-22, 18:03   Link #38
Rebochan
Clubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Just let it go yourself! Of course Hisami is gay, though I have no idea if Anita is. While jr high school students are too young to know what love is, they are most certainly old enough to know what gender they like.

Anita might simply consider herself and Hisame to be platonic soul mates like in Anne of Green Gables, but it is much more than that to Hisame. Hisame turned down a boy's confession of love, telling him that she couldn't be with him because she loves Anita. There is nothing remotely ambiguous in that.
Actually, Hisami is much harder to figure out than that. I think the anime was purposely teasing us with what she meant by "loving" Anita. Once she pulled out Akage no Anne, however, I thought it was obvious that the love she has for Anita is the love that Anne and Diana have - they're "bosom friends." Hisami turning down Tohru doesn't necessarily mean she has romantic feelings for Anita - all she said was that when she was with her, she was so happy she wanted to die, and she didn't understand it. When Anita leaves in Episode 11, Hisa tells Tohru that she's going to be alone again - this means that Anita is the first person she's had any strong relationship too. Turning down a proposal of love could also mean that Hisa simply doesn't feel the same way about Tohru. Not feeling the way she does for Anita could be said about ANY of her classmates, including Tohru. She finally tells Anita "I love you" - but uses the phrase "Suki dai yo". This can be a number of kinds of love, and not all of them romantic. Had she said "Ai shiteru," THEN it would have shown she has romantic feelings, because this phrase is reserved for lovers.

I think Hisa's feelings, if this subplot is left as is, are meant to be analyzed and could have different interpretations. Of course, the show is barely half over, so they could still resolve this differently. Considering the nature of Yomiko and Nancy in the original OAV's being like this, I'm not surprised they're playing with our heads again. Especially considering the wild plot twist they threw at us in Episode 11.