View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 16:29   Link #19212
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The term "multiverse" would be more appropriate in this case. At any rate if you think you can consider the two stories set in the same "universe" even if the settings are different what exactly does that mean?
By that logic you could even claim that Neon Genesis Evangelion and Haruhi Suzumiya are set in the same "universe" just because they are both set on planet earth.
Then think of it as two worlds that share the same metaphysical structure. They are both in the same world (real world setting) but all the kakera from both Higurashi and Uminko exist in some form in the same metaworld.

Quote:
Again, by that logic you could say that All the various "final fantasy" are set in the same "universe" because there are a lot of reoccurring elements. A counterpart doesn't mean at all that the "universe" is the same. There is a Cid counterpart in every single final fantasy, and yet they are not all set in the same universe.
Well this is a bad example, because with the Dissidia games, it could be argued that they share a multiverse ruled by Chaos and Harmony. But this is neither here nor there.

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean about cheapening the Higurashi's plot. Anyway, why everyone thinks that the backstories are the same? They are not. They have a few points in common and then they have a few points that do not match at all.

Umineko's Bern was a Game Master's piece
Nowhere in Higurashi was said that Bern was a Game Master's piece. Actually as far as I know there are no Game Masters in Higurashi.

Umineko's Bern was trapped inside a logic error, a world devoid of any sense.
Higurashi's Bern was trapped in endless cycle, forced to repeat the same timespan over and over again. This was neither a logic error nor a nonsensical world.

Umineko's Bern hates and fears Featherinne
Higurashi's Bern doesn't hate nor fears Hanyuu

Umineko's Bern is strongly hinted to have been a cat in her original form.
Higurashi's Bern was born from Rika which is by no mean a cat. Higurashi's Bern completely lacks all the feline features of her Umineko counterpart.

Sure there are many things that they have in common, but the few existing differences make it clear that they are absolutely not the same being. Umineko's Bern and Higurashi's Bern are as similar as Hanyuu and Featherinne.
I think you're taking what's shown waaaaay too literally. Especially for a series like Umineko. For example, just because Bern can change into a cat it really doesn't mean she was a cat in her original form. And I think people have made pretty good theories on how to fit in all the game master and piece analogies into Higurashi in a way that fits as Higurashi was originally presented.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote