View Single Post
Old 2011-10-23, 15:20   Link #56
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

i really like sho--him and kanba are tied as my favourite characters.

i definitely think there's a grand plan for shouma.

sho is supposed to be the archetypal passive brother, but he was the forefront of the action in the first half of the show. even if he was "failing" to get the penguindrum, or now failing to save ringo, he's constantly striving to get out of that role & it's admirable.

the most interesting thing with shoma is the constant internal battle. his motivations aren't one hundred percent clear cut. sure, he loves and wants to save his sister himari but at the same time he was always against using ringo as a means to an end, and eventually you can see he genuinely cares for her. compartively, kanba motivations are very clear cut & he's stubborn about it.

that in part may have to do with why sho's penguin is not in sync with him, and is more of a hindrance than anything.

the opening also shows that sho/himari are going separate ways from kanba. the most obvious reason is that kanba will go his independent way, but shoma may also find his own path as well.