View Single Post
Old 2013-09-09, 04:11   Link #72
fukarming

My 2 cents on this discussion so far:

I don't agree with the "sexist" comment at all.

In a harem anime, even if the guy is completely useless, the girls still need to "earn" his affection: not because it is sexist, but because he is the only relevant guy.

It is not sexist since the same can apply to reverse harem: even the girl is nothing spectacular, the guys need to "earn" her affection just because she is the only relevant female.

As of the whole debate on Mary Sue characters:

I don't believe there is a way to say whether he/she is a sue character, as most main characters have some sue characteristics: whether it is too much or not depends on the audience personal tolerance. For example:

Spoiler for railgun spoiler:

Spoiler for LOGH spoiler:

I didn't watch SAO, so I have no idea what Kirito do. But given others comment he is probably a 60-80/100 Stu?

Here is a new example:

Spoiler for gun x clover spoiler:

In short, no, i don't believe having a sue-ish character automatically make the story bad, same with most other types of characters: having a "realistic character" (character that you probably meet every day on the street) have problems as well: if he/she is so "realistic" why is the story center around him/her? That happen when people accuse XYZ show/character is bland; having a weak character also have problem: it make audience grind their teeth to see such useless person in action. IMO, it is all about the writings. Accusing Sue-ish character ruin a story is similar to people who claims winning a lottery ruin their lives: it is not the lottery (sue character) that ruin your life (the story), the sole fault lies with you (the writer/the story writing) alone.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote