View Single Post
Old 2007-06-09, 00:32   Link #5
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Are you attempting to show off with false humility?

Are there people with better records? Yes.
Nonetheless, you would be competitive in attempting to enter ANY school.

I give you one piece of concrete advice: Pick your school based on its relevance to your future career. If you don't need the social networking of an ivy league school, it would be wasted money. If you're not seeking the technical skills available at a school like MIT, it would be wasted money. College prestige will mean NOTHING once you're established in your career, unless you like telling people where you went to college in order to impress them. If those ARE things you are seeking at college, then you are WELL prepared to gain entrance to practically any school you like.

Just keep in mind that college won't determine your future. YOU will. Bill Gates never finished college. There are Ivy League graduates who are penniless and without respect. College is just one tool along the way of making your self.

And if you know that one particular college is the one you need to go to, don't be afraid to start some where else for a year and apply again later.
He's right... I learned that the hard way...

Then again, I'm a counselor so it doesn't really matter what school I go to. Yes I get to hear kids whine all day long. Fun job.

And 3.7 is low? Curse me and my 2.4... That is a very good GPA score, and as for colleges go, it's actually better to go to a school that you're more comfortable in.

There's also financial situations. If you're poor, it's actually better to go to a community college and save thousands of dollars before heading off to a 4 year university. But if you feel financially and mentally ready, I suggest you go straight to college.

And many colleges are very high on what exactly do your extra curricular activities do for you and your intended future.

for example, What's the point of taking Drums if you have no intention of being a drummer? You can say it's a hobby, but admittance members could care less.

Write your letter of intent, which should take at least a few drafts, and give it to a teacher you really trust, or have respect for. He'll help revise it some more.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote