View Single Post
Old 2007-06-09, 00:34   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you're saying that 3.7 is a low GPA, then good for you - you have high standards. Keep at them.

I have one semester left at USC. Back when I was applying to schools, I'd basically chosen the sort of major that I wanted to be, and looked at schools based on what majors they offered that best fit what I thought I wanted. I applied to six, and was accepted to four. Of the four I was accepted to, my SATs were below their average for the incoming class (those were the days when it was out of 1600). I don't know what my GPA was, but my school didn't weight AP class grades either way.

Not much of a booster, but there you go. I will add one thing to what Kyuusai said about choosing a school based on relevance to future career: include the fact that things can change drastically when you're in college. USC was the ONLY school that I applied to that was not an all-engineering school. After three years of engineering, I changed majors. I could have done the same at an engineering school, but the options would have been much more limited. I had a lot more versatility at a much broader school such as USC.

And that aside, don't you want to make friends with people pursuing different paths of life? You'll be around people who are like you when you're a professional (or even at higher levels of schooling). Why specialize so early? I found comparing notes and getting a glimpse into what the life of a different career might be like to be very insightful and enjoyable.