View Single Post
Old 2007-06-09, 13:27   Link #15
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
Arg maybe the reason I'm going crazy about this is because I've been pressured all my life by my parents to go to a prestigious college or because I want to follow my friends into college since I'm not that great at making fresh relationships.
I have a friend who grew up similarly. His parents immigrated from South Korea, then raised their two sons here in the US with very high expectations. They worked constantly, and expected their kids not to work so much as to excel--but the pressure was on high if they didn't.

For his brother, that was easy. His brother was more motivated and had the passion for goals that made his parents proud. My friend, though, didn't have the same motivated personality as his brother and wanted to do something that didn't come with guarantees of financial success, which did NOT make his parents happy.

He went back and forth with his parents about it until he finally made some steps toward his desired path, and his parents rethought their decision and decided that even if he wouldn't be rich, they could be happy that their son was doing something noble.

That went well until my friend suffered a setback, and they changed their mind again. He had to choose between his desires and his parents support. He picked a career path simply for the financial success while offering work he figured he could stand. Without the motivation of his own passion, or at least providing for a family, he did not handle it well.

Picking a college just because your friends are going generally isn't wise... but neither is picking a college just because your parents approve of it. Do something that YOU are passionate about. In all likelyhood, you can pursue that passion in a way that won't mean giving up your parents approval and support. It's not wise to toss away your parents support, nor is it wise to be socially isolated, but... choosing a path simply to please your parents or so you can stay with the same people who, themselves, may choose to go elsewhere shortly after, is generally a path to disaster.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote