View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 18:56   Link #33
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now I understand that people want to feel like they're being "rewarded" for their efforts in building a community around here and that their status as veterans will be revoked by this change, but frankly, I am just getting a pretty elitist vibe from some of the complaints in this thread. People want to be rewarded for posting on a forum like it is some sort of videogame? This is not the point of a forum, a forum is a place to host discussions. Discussions can happen whether you've been here since the inception of AS, or if you are a user who just registered today. You are freely able to express yourself no matter how old or new you are.
Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I think you're misinterpreting the vibe. It isn't about higher-repped or older members having a greater say than newer members, it's about being recognized and respected. This isn't something that's unique here, either. People instinctively dislike new recruits who don't respect more senior members in the workforce, and you can find a "pecking order" based on length of membership and contributions in a number of clubs, as well.

It may sound silly that people want to have such a structure for recognition on a discussion forum, but doesn't it make sense? The forum has proven itself to be a community, rather than a bus terminal where people are only passing through. We have people who have been coming here for years, which is pretty dedicated. (If I may toot my own horn, I'm coming upon year 10, myself. Do I get cake when the day comes? (brightman already spoiled it for me, actually - no cake, no fanfare when your account hits its 10th year. Oh well.))

In the grand scheme of things it probably won't make much of a difference. People will lose a way to judge members by and may feel a bit disoriented for a bit, but they'll come up with other ways or just adapt to not having that information. I just wanted to convey what I perceive the upset is over. Specifically, I wanted to say that it isn't elitism.