Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-21, 15:10   Link #2589
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

For me, this was an excellent episode, one of the best. That's largely because it was so much concerned with people's feelings, about the situation, about themselves, about each other. That is what I watch this stuff for, more than the shallow machinations of "plot."

Miuna is one of my favorite characters because she is dealing with such strong, sweet, understandable, romantic feelings. Tsumugu is another of my favorites because his feelings are, despite his own sense of them, deeper than other people's. Too deep to come bubbling up onto the surface at all times. It was heaven for me to see them together, revealing themselves and trying to understand and come to terms with their situations.

I still don't much like Hikari, because of his self-centred irascibility and especially because of how he treated Manaka early on. To me, he loves her as someone he can boss around. Like other extroverts, he is effective (although his ofunehiki may have had bad effects, rather than good), but he still has to demonstrate to me that he has any real depth. Other viewers love him, so I think it's okay for me to feel differently. He gets enough support elsewhere.

I was delighted with the way this episode was presented. When I saw the end-credits, I saw a name as storyboarder whose episodes I often like: the Korean episode director and storyboarder Ho Jon 許琮, who did the storyboard for ep15, as well as five eps of Uchouten Kazoku, and multiple eps of shows like Tari Tari, RDG, Canaan, Hanasaku Iroha, True Tears, etc.

The way they handled Manaka at the end was wonderful, with the voice preceding the image. I like the suggestion that Miuna has some hidden powers.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote