View Single Post
Old 2009-04-25, 10:09   Link #360
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
eh..? i didnt have a tutor ..well then again i didnt get a great score, but a good enough one. still, a lot of my friends didnt have tutors, and some of them got stellar scores. Infact, a couple of friends I know just studied for around 2-3 weeks and got 2250+. Not that they were particularly smart people either. Standardized tests are useful, until people learn to break them . Unfortunately all the questions are based on fairly predictable patterns. I found it rather awful that critical reading question patterns were more predictable than that of math. Once youve got the pattern down the SAT is not tough at all, I only wished I'd paid more attention to that aspect of the test.
Still, you need something - for example, colleges in the U.S dont ( didnt ) recognize my school system. it made little or no difference as to whether i got an 85 or a 95 overall, and admissions are given out before our final exams have even finished ( where I come from final exams mean everything, it doesnt really matter what happened in the rest of the year, so students anyways tend to slack off during the year). Unfortunately colleges cant accept students simply based on essays, recommendations, and ECA's.
I went tutoring for ACTs and SATs and they are a waste of money... it barely moved my SAT score and the highest I ever got on the ACT is a 23-24. It's better just to study with a book since it's alot cheaper, but it requires concentration and discipline .