View Single Post
Old 2008-01-29, 12:56   Link #9
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudninja
1) Shin's mother was in love with Hiromi's father and is still bitter at Hiromi's mother for getting him. Her bitterness has now transferred to Hiromi. Maybe the reference about Hiromi having her mother's eyes means she thinks the daughter of her rival is now going to take her son away from her just as her mother took the guy she had wanted. Jealousy and spitefulness is ugly.
I think this one pretty much bites the dust since there was no (logical) reason for Hiromi to act all stunned and shocked when she told her about it.
Which part are you talking about? If it's the one at 8:40 into episode 4 Shin's mother makes the comment that Hiromi's eyes look like her mother's. Another translation I've seen is that "your eyes have the same look as your mother's" which is a bit different.

Somehow I think it would make more sense to say Hiromi had her father's eyes or some other feature if Shin's mother wanted to insinuate something since the possible issue is who her father is instead of the mother.

Hiromi was already in an emotionally fragile state prior the comment by Shin's mother in episode 4 about her having her mother's eyes because of her agonizing exchange with Shinichiro. So it would be easy to upset her since we know everytime Shin's mother is near Hiromi she physically hunches and shrinks because of the borderline verbal abuse that Shin's mother gives her. In scenario 1 we would assume that Hiromi knows Shin's mother was jealous of Hiromi's mother and hates Hiromi now too. Maybe she is implying Hiromi has "man-stealing" eyes like her mother's which would fit in with a jealous and possessive personality. It's probably one of many verbal jabs Shin's mother has dealt to Hiromi.

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-01-29 at 14:45.