View Single Post
Old 2009-07-31, 04:18   Link #58
npcomplete

Ugh.. the presentation is somewhat scandalous and I get the impression that the author does not really understand the sub-culture, with some oversimplifications such as
Quote:
In Japan the fetishistic love for two-dimensional characters is enough of a phenomenon to have earned its own slang word, moe
I also find what relentless said worrisome as well:
Quote:
The author’s decision to go into graphic detail about the content of some of the more risqué pillow covers also left me thinking that she didn’t have to state it so provocatively, but that’s also probably what got it published. From an American media perspective, it’s nearly a codeword for starting a witchhunt, and I’d be a bit concerned when some American parent reads this article and then realizes that their kid owns a body pillow cover or a figure and sends them straight to counselling.
I'm not sure if there's even an appropriate way at all to introduce or expose the general audience to fringes and fetishes of any subculture without some grave misunderstanding or inciting a lot of hate or prejudice.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote