View Single Post
Old 2008-01-12, 09:21   Link #74
Mentorian
Matsuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Anyway, I'm not actually sure I get what this retconning all of you guys are talking about is about? Is it the first half? 'Cause I was under the impression that the summary it was based on isn't canonical even in the manga, seeing as the school Zetsubou-sensei supposedly ended up at was an all-girls school, versus the clearly mixed class in the actual manga.
I may stretch the meaning of "canonical" here, but the first part of Episode 1 is still canonical, since the gist of it was inside the jacket flap of the Tankubon Volume 1. Frankly though, it caught me by surprise as I didn't expect them to animate that fake summary.

In my opinion though, the first season had been following the manga very closely, except the order of the girls' introduction and Chiri's bit. While I can understand the argument of "butchering the novel" for ZnT, SZS is a different creature. If you read the manga, you will find that each chapter is pretty much independent from each other. In essence, instead of "retcon," I would consider Nami's reintroduction as just a recap and the DVD as a "one hour summary" for those who didn't want to watch the entire first season (or to buy the DVDs of the entire season) to know who the girls are.

But hey, it is all "Gensaku Dori" and you do know the peril of straying from the author's original intention, right?
Mentorian is offline   Reply With Quote