View Single Post
Old 2013-02-26, 23:07   Link #176
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
The bones were brought in 2-3 years after Maria & Mamoru disappeared. Meaning that, even if she got pregnant right away, adding the nine months of pregnancy, etc. the kid would've been cca 2 years old, max at that time. A 1-2 year-old child can't fend for himself alone in the wild, it can barely even walk...
My point was that we're all assuming one thing, when it could be something completely different. I was trying to put a dent into the "just as planned" aspect of Yakomaru finding and using Maria's kid, hopefully to show that while it may be his plan now to raid villages and take kids, it doesn't mean that was his plan initially.

And like I said, I don't know. My ideas were speculation and such, not firm conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, I'm disappointed that Shisei didn't try entrapping the fiend. Surely a being with his cantus powers could have found a way to ensnare him without killing him. That would at least buy people time to come up with a permanent solution.

Freeze the fiend in a cube of ice... Put him inside of a deep pit that goes a full km down... Create a metallic safe around him.

But I suppose we can chalk Shisei's failure up to overconfidence on his part. He certainly had some hubris to him.
Fling the kid miles away. He's got Cantus, he'll land. Then get the heck outta dodge until you get a better plan. But I know you and I have discussed stuff like this before. Once people start digging too much into mechanics, things start to fall apart. Explaining how a warp engine works, or lightsabers, etc. I'm sure Roddenberry and Lucas had no freaking clue, it just sounded neat and helped to tell a story, while remaining somewhat plausible because of the magic that is fantasy. And when you try to explain too much, it can actually make things worse. People were cool with the Force. People were not cool with midichlorians.

How do Transformers work? Star Trek teleporters? Holodecks? How do you take the soul of a girl, shove it in a gem, and suddenly they can do magic tricks?

Plot elements, all of it. That's why sometimes it's better to just focus on what the story is trying to get across without thinking too hard about the details. Some writers can get away with building incredible detail and explanations without bogging down the story, but for others it's easier to skimp on details and just say "that's how it is".

Death Feedback is one of those things. How does it work? Why does it seem so inconsistent? Who knows, but it moves the plot, happens when it needs to, and helps the writer tell the story they wanted to tell. Personally, I'm cool with that. Even if I'd like to know more....which is actually a good thing, because if I'm interested in something, the writer has done a good job of investing me in the material.