View Single Post
Old 2016-10-06, 22:29   Link #89
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Yeah, I like Freyja more than Mirage, and I'm glad they didn't pull tradition on us, but I still feel unsatisfied because she deserves more.
This is something I believe people are confused upon for Macross, because old-time fans don't believe she did; however, she did do it.

Because "tradition" for the love triangle winner is for the mature girl, as in "who is an adult via maturity" more than "who is older physically." Every character in the love triangles prior (aside from Zero) always had a year difference in their ages, even for Frontier. The immature (or childish/selfish) girl never wins because she's not old enough for him mentally. The mature (or adult/selfless/confident) girl always wins in this regard.

For Mirage, she is the one with her head on straight, is all about her job, is serious about herself; all she's missing is self-confidence. For Freyja, she is the one who is living in the clouds, is full of childish dreams, is full of energy, is brash and hotheaded, is self-confident in herself; all she's missing is ability to deal with adult issues like drama. In this area, Mirage is the mature girl, Freyja is the immature girl; so Freyja winning is technically breaking tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
As for the end of the triangle in Macross Frontier, I was spoiled so I knew Sheryl was going to win.. It was hard watching Ranka be happy around Alto and knowing she was going to lose, but ultimately Sheryl's connection with Alto ran deeper. So I don't know who had a better chance, Ranka or Mirage, but I definitely liked Ranka's end of the deal more.
That's your opinion.

People could argue "she had chances for winning him" all they like; however, it's all a one-sided triangle like this one IMO because from episode 6 on, it's all for Sheryl Nome with him. All Ranka did is chase an unrequited love like Mirage did, and even acknowledged it in episode 11 during her monologue for Nanase encouraging her. The pain is viewing her basically going along with it because she helplessly falls in love with him. The second half of Frontier shows how one-sided their love triangle is because Alto is all for Sheryl, ignoring Ranka unless she calls upon him, and is basically throwing himself at Sheryl in episode 19; so her signing off her love for Alto in episode 21 is less of a reprieve for a fan like myself because unlike Mirage, she had no chance at all of coming back from it in the final episode.

Mirage, however, gained an ending she long anticipated because she only realized her feelings for him once she recognized how he loved Freyja. Mirage has known his feelings for Freyja since his admission how she's "more than a friend" in episode 16, and how he does not deny his growing feelings as "blossoming love" for Freyja. Mirage knows her love is fruitless; however, she chases it regardless because no one can help falling in love and all of the pain which comes from it.

Personally, I like Mirage's loss more.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote