Thread: Licensed Mushishi
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-29, 22:46   Link #955
BashZeStampeedo

My, but that was a lovely anime. I can't quite pinpoint what makes it work so well, but my best guess is that it was designed with a minimalistic eye. Everything seemed distilled to it's very essence; a brilliant way to tell a story about an essense of life we don't know about. The music, the art direction, the stories, and the themes were all exceptionally well done (for my tastes).

Watching Mushishi was a real treat for me because it felt emotionally cathartic. The anime brought a unique sense of nostalgia to me. It bordered on the feeling you get when you can almost remember something from your childhood; something that feels like it is very important for you to remember. At times it almost felt like I was a child again listening to my mother or father read a fairy tale to me.

I think perhaps it gave me those impressions because it threw me back to one of my earliest childhood memories: watching the (New) Littlest Hobo. I was so young I can only vaguely remember that show and how much I loved it. I guess Ginko felt quite a bit like the german shepherd London. It was nice to relive those memories.

I'd been looking for this kind of story; something you might want to marathon, but force yourself to watch periodically to get the best results. I'll have to read the manga however, the anime ultimately did little to sate my curiosity. There are too many questions, and very few answers.

Last edited by BashZeStampeedo; 2009-10-01 at 20:47.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote