View Single Post
Old 2007-01-31, 19:33   Link #86
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I

In Victory, the Zanscare leaders are trying to do the exact same thing that UC Gundam villains try to do: to conquer the world. From the beginning, we see them trying to intimidate the people of Earth using the guillotine, etc, and later on, they deploy the motorad battleship squadron to do pretty much the same thing. The Angel Halo is but their final attempt to achieve their original goal. By the end, their position had deteriorated enough that they couldn't hope to defeat their enemies using more conventional means, and so they settled on using a very unconventional one. The Zanscare intentions are ultimately selfish ones.

Durandal's motives were quite different; he was interested in conquering/dominating the world only as a means to his ultimate end: to enact the Destiny Plan. His overall objective wasn't evil at all; in fact, it could be argued that his intentions were well-meaning. Of course, it neither justifies his actions nor does it make him any less of a villain, but Durandal lacks the selfishness inherent in that of the UC villains.
The Destiny plan is the most egregious example of a government trying to squash individual liberty that I have ever seen/heard in popular culture. It's perhaps even worse than 1984. In principle I found such concept to be the utterly digusting even more so than the act of committing genocide. For that reason my impression of Durandal after the revelation of his destiny plan is that he might be the most evil villian in gundam ever (Yes I am a libertarian). There wasn't even a hint of thought in my mind that Chairman Gil might be well intentioned.

Anyways I started this discourse only to see if could figure out the element in the ending of Victory that surprisingly reminded me of GSD's ending. It's clear that the common link is the idea of exterting complete control over individual lives that the villians in the two series tried to accomplish (I thought Zanscare would've went ahead with the Angel Halo no matter what the result of their conventional war was). Other UC villians might've tried conquer the world but their methods would resulted in a lesser form of control.

However you are right that it's implausible to compare any thing in Victory to GSD. I seriously doubt that Fukuda ever sat down and watched Victory since so few gundam fans do.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote