View Single Post
Old 2011-11-03, 02:40   Link #25425
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
And he made the bad into practically a strawman, as Renall already said.

Who shot down Natsuhi's delusions, for example? BERN AND ERIKA, whose opinions are invalidated pretty much by virtue of the fact that they go out of their way to bully mentally handicapped nine year olds for fun.
You're attacking only one example, you chose one of the weakest ones that I provided, and your attack can apply only to it and none of the others. This is what you call strawmanning.

And who cares what Bern and Erika said? I'm not so dumb that I needed them to point out that Natsuhi's delusions were pathetic. RK07 showed us a pathetic, escapist Natsuhi, then at the end of the chapter he indirectly validated her escapism by having the villains attack it. It's definitely a moral cue for the reader that subjectivity should not be attacked, but that's different from a straw man argument.

To clarify, I don't think Renall's view that pre-sorcerer Battler is a straw man meant to help Beatrice's subjectivity argument to be entirely inaccurate. But I do think that the negative aspects of escapism were presented through other characters, mostly Ange, Maria, and Kinzo.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote