View Single Post
Old 2008-05-05, 16:53   Link #28
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
...because that's exactly what's going to happen!
If I may get a punishment for posting an unmarked spoiler, but posting something, that isn't a spoiler inside a spoiler tag, doesn't get any negative reactions, then the logical conclusion would be to simply use the Spoiler-tags always, because then you would never get banned.
Have you really been banned before, TSO? I think maybe we super-old users get uppity about this because it's almost insulting to receive an infraction when you've been here for so long and are just doing what you've always done, and never had a problem before. The only two infractions I have were handed to me within the last two years, for example (and the first one was totally unjustified - any tech user can back me on that, and I still get a bit miffed every time I see it in my account). Hearing that even upstanding members like Vexx get a few infractions doesn't make it feel quite as bad, but it's never pleasant.

The rules aren't as ambiguous to me now, but I'd request that the moderators be a bit merciful about these things. In the example I pointed out (which 4Tran responded to), I disagree on two points: First, technically speaking nearly all of the discussion in that thread is off-topic and should be spoiler'd. The thread topic suggests discussion about news of a third installment, not series analysis of the previous two series. You and I are both in agreement in thinking that that everyone in that thread is advancing to it after having seen the previous two series, but is that a fair assumption to make? Would a moderator unfamiliar with the series or Gundam universe be able to make that same judgement? That leads to the second point: why would it be OK to discuss the previous two series, but not their side stories? (I presume this refers to Astray and the Stargazer OVA, but I haven't viewed those for myself.) It just feels like there's too much ambiguity there. It doesn't help that a lot of people make horribly vague topics.

The only thing that seems fairly obvious is that, using that thread as an example again, discussion of any non-Gundam SEED series, including other Gundam series, should be put into spoilers. But even then, I'm saying that as someone who hasn't been following Gundam since before SEED - the die-hard Gundam fans probably view each series as a chronological addition to the franchise. I'm guessing that other anime discussion threads would also have situations similar to these.