Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-10, 04:03   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmmm.

I wonder how that is suppose to play out, give that in the last few years there have been two other Yamato movies. The sequel film set in 2220 that came out in 2009, and the Live Action movie set in 2199 that came out in 2010.

I'd be more interested if they decided to remake the series in an episodic way. The original is from 1974 and could probably use some more modern animation (though the 1983 Final Yamato still holds up in terms of Art and Animation).

I also wonder just what (if anything) they will change this time around. With it follow the Matsumoto based designs and the 1974 style, or will it follow the 2010 movie model of how things are? (the Gamilons specifically).

About the only thing they probably cannot get away with changing, is the ship. Since it is: A) and icon. B) based on a real ship. and C) famous as all hell in and outside of Japan. Even when Star Trek was remade in 2009, they kept the basic shape of the USS Enterprise and a lot of its detail, and it is not based on a real ship.

Earth Space Battleship Yamato is based on the hull of the Imperial Japanese Navy's Battleship Yamato from the Second World War. You can't actually change that (though they might update it to how she really looks...which is not all that great in two pieces...so that's a write off idea). er sister ship, Musashi, might be in better shape...but they've not located her wreckage off the Philippines.

It will be interesting to see what they do.