View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 03:06   Link #177
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBarEX View Post
2) What I find particularly astonishing is that you're asking for a good plot, and in return, you want the protagonist to do things that are out of character and things that would essentially destroy the realism and plausibility that holds the plot together.

Okarin's struggle in this episode showed empathy as well as a host of other thoughts and emotions. That's what it means to be human and that's part of what makes his character so great and believable. What he displayed in that scene was human nature. He's not Batman, he's not Bruce Lee and he's not Stephen Hawking. So no, I don't expect him to do a three point submission or a blood choke (whatever that is) or go and buy a taser because the minute he does that, this entire plot is NOT believable.

But hey, maybe you would understand that if you actually had gotten off your high horse, SAT and WATCHED the previous episode (y'know the one you said you couldn't even sit through). That might help clear things up a little bit.
lol. Okabe's and Moeka's fight in this chapter already stretched the bounds of plausibility. Why did Moeka never grab a knife? How could Moeka's neighbour actually misconstrue that clamour as a make-out session? Knocking Moeka out would've been far more believable, and it wasn't a requirement that it be perfect or gentle.

Okabe's actions might've been human nature, yes (that covers a very wide range FYI, Bruce Lee and Stephen Hawking included :P), but I find it a stretch to say that witnessing human nature is always great and 'enjoyable'. Sometimes human nature can be real ugly, and that's a sad thing; it's good to be aware, of course, but it hardly needs to be celebrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
shortened
No one said that Okabe shouldn't have tried to get the phone, which the majority of your post was based on. There are just two points here, which I've gotten tired of repeating, so maybe this will be the last: If Okabe's goal was solely the phone, he should've knocked Moeka out to make things easier for both of them. Alternatively, if Okabe's goal was to open Moeka's eyes, he could've done it without physically beating her in the face.