View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 23:25   Link #278
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This anime has made me want to start learning economics, even though I'm primarily a science student. For anyone with experience, what are the best economics textbooks for college out there?
That's a difficult question to answer without knowing more about your math skills. You might start by browsing this list from Amazon.

Paul Samuelson's Economics was the gold standard for introductory textbooks in my day. The Mankiw text in that list is probably its successor. You can browse it online at Amazon.

Economics is usually taught in two parts: microeconomics and macroeconomics. The first is really where most of the theory lies -- how markets function, how prices and quantities are determined, how choices are made with perfect and imperfect information, and how industries and markets should be regulated. Macroeconomics focuses on large aggregates like national product, the money supply, and the role of government spending. The news tends to focus on macroeconomics, but most economists, especially mathematical economists, focus on micro.

If you have the math for it (mostly differential calculus), you might try Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics, the second book in that list.

I hope you have access to a college library, because the prices on these books are just ridiculous. You can probably pick up a couple of syllabi from the Economics department and see what they use.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote