View Single Post
Old 2009-04-17, 15:40   Link #59
Skane
Anime Snark

If anybody were to ask me to explain Fourier Theorems to them now, I'll probably just give them an incredulous look and laugh heartily at their expense. Back in school, I could consistently use them without error and spent a lot of time tutoring people about it, but now? I can't remember a damn thing.

During the open house speech by my Polytechnic's Headmaster, he casually stated that realistically speaking, most of us would only end up using about 15% of what we learnt in school when we enter the working world.

With that in mind, he wanted us to not place too much importance on our subject matter, but to understand the importance of learning. How to continue learning on our own, and how to keep on learning when we start work.

Finding out how to troubleshoot that office printer? That's learning.

Knowing how to make two people work together despite their differences? That's learning too.

Discovering how to make that perfect dish as a restaurant cook? E-yup, learning.

It is impossible for them to teach everybody what would be relevant to them in their future, for to do so would require psychic powers to foresee their future fate, and quite possibly a colossal amount of learning material. What they can do however, is to teach them how to learn.

It's a lesson I took to heart.

Cheers.