View Single Post
Old 2009-10-16, 14:29   Link #7
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Personally, I don't particularly care. What two consenting adults do with each other in private isn't really my concern.

Unfortunately, in public life, I cannot call for nor defend marriage for homosexuals. It's simply not possible, because doing so would kill all chance of getting conservative Singaporeans to even accept homosexuality in the first place. Conservative Singaporeans have repeatedly said that attempts to decriminalise gay sex between two males are the start to a slippery slope — that is, today they ask for sodomy to be legalised; tomorrow they'd start asking to legalise gay marriage, and so on.

Best I can say is this: Homosexual men here can live together, so long as they keep their love life private. No one would deliberately seek to persecute them. But if they push the boundaries too far, before people are willing to consider ideas such as "gay marriage", they're bound to get ugly reactions.

Change, if it does arrive, will not come from pushing an agenda too aggressively. At least, not in Asia. That's just the fact of life in this part of the world.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote