View Single Post
Old 2008-12-03, 22:22   Link #916
Lathdrinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Yes. That's right. Being a social worker who can speak Chinese and a dash of Hokkien due to my mixed lineage, I get these cases rather often. Of students/prospective students being put down because of race. I got rejected by my previous attachment school just because I wasn't pure Japanese.
Sorry to hear that. Do you think you get it even worse (than other "non-Japanese") because you're mixed? I have heard of discrimination against "mixed bloods" in South Korea; unfortunately it seems that the fascist concept of racial purity still lingers in many places of the world.

Quote:
Also, I've been to some interviews as a second-opinion kind of person in Korea. The Japanese, if asked a history question, more often than not, has views that are not in accordance to world's understanding of history of WWII in Asia. It was only when I saw a overview of the some schools' history curriculum that I realised that some textbooks are right-winging.
Interesting, but not surprising. Education plays a large role in shaping a person's worldview, and nations have a habit of twisting history for their own narrative ends.
Lathdrinor is offline   Reply With Quote