Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-22, 21:21   Link #1852
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui from Okinawa
Simoun anime is contains "Female to Male trans-gender (trans-sexal) " theme , but more described girl's decision to adult woman or man.... gender re-assignment is their Rite of passage......
That's one of the really interesting things about Simoun -- Daikuurikan men seem very different from the real female-to-male transsexual men that I know. The whole idea that transition happens slowly with breasts being reabsorbed over time, and young men looking very androgynous (and dressing very androgynously) is totally different from the way actual FTMs go through transition. Testosterone kicks in very quickly in a female-to-male transition, bringing facial hair and a deep male voice, and "top surgery" to get rid of breast tissue (which isn't reabsorbed) is a major rite of passage. Someone like Wapourif, with long hair in an androgynous-to-feminine style, no facial hair, large unbound breasts, and clothing that continues to emphasize them, is about as far from the image of the typical present-day transman (dressed totally in stereotypical "guy" clothes, with a beard and a deep voice) as you can get.

At the same time, most of the Daikuurikan men manage to be masculine without being jerks about it in the same way that most of the transmen I know do. (Even Shihein-sama, to an extent.) And Guragief x Anubituf reminds me of one specific pair of friends, with the way they interact....
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote