Thread: Licensed K-On! Manga discussion
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 03:16   Link #1898
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can't say *I'd* be fond of it and it isn't really even very original -- that's essentially how Lucky*Star went and (imo) it pretty much damaged the franchise. I certainly stopped following it when the camera stayed "in the room" while the characters moved on.

As Goggen notes, it implies the characters are disposable/interchangeable -- which is anathema to a series that is totally dependent on character interaction between unique characters. The new characters did not have nearly the same feel ... and it just amplified the appearance that the author is just using a matrix diagram to create characters.

I'm okay with expanding the cast (if we can trace direct connections to the original group) ... but even that can become unmanageable or leave no one actually getting any "screen time".
More accurately though, those issues are indeed contingent on whether any hypothetical expansions are as compelling, and interesting as the initial cast.

What's more likely of course, is that given these issues, I'd imagine that Kakifly might start a new Slice of Life Project. But then, that requires an utterly new set of cast, which would bring in the same issues that a K-on that changes it's cast every 100 chapters or so would put to the table.

So, more accurately, the question is whether Kakifly can keep producing characters that can prove to be just as compelling as his first breakout success, and yet are distinctively unique.

Personally, I feel while there's not a vast difference between Surime and Mugi, there's no parallel to Nao with regards to the members of the HTT, and yet I still find that the High School Expanded characters (Nao and Surime) are more memorable and engaging to read about then the University Expanded Characters.

If Kakifly keeps filling up the High School segment with more Surimes than Naos, then I would have to agree on the point of interchangeability. If fresh characters constructed around a wide variety of archetypes like Nao can be continually produced, and done well, then it could work.

Though certainly seeing the subtle changes in the character interactions of the Core Four characters in University is entertaining, and part of the reason why most of us probably still follow this manga.

If of course, Kakifly wants to focus on the Core Four characters, and yet stay true to the theme of a group of musicians, then there has to be signs that the Four are going to go professional at one point or another, which has interesting potential. Or , there could simply be the bittersweet theme of how growing up sometimes leads to a greater degree of separation between close friends. (That of course, we're far away from).

To me, if the author can only stick to certain character archetypes, then he is indeed a One Trick pony, at least judging by his ability to write characters alone.

Ultimately though, the issue would be whether K-on is the Story of four girls, and three juniors, or that of a Resurrected Light Music Club at a certain Japanese Highschool. So far, it seems that the author is hedging his bets, but eventually, he'll have to come to a decision. And if K-on is definitely about the first, then this project will end much sooner rather than later.

Of course, better for it to end on a High, than be dragged on to a parody of itself. We'd probably see once Azusa, Ui and Jun graduates whether Kakifly would axe the High School segment completely. If he chooses to continue on with the High School, then everything hinges on whether he can pump in two or three more fresh characters.

We'd have to keep in mind though that there's two and a half year more of story time at least to play with for the Four HTT Girls.

I wonder, will the High School and University chapters be released in separate volumes?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote