View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 01:25   Link #43
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Do you prefer the Split Cour approach, as the break between cours can help build up more anticipation for the "second half" of the show? Or do you prefer the Traditional Two Cour approach because of how it can build up (and sustain) momentum over 24 or more consecutive weeks?
I like split cour for shows that could use, but don't need a second season to finish. The feeling is more like a visit from a friend and you don't really need to remember much about the previous cour to continue watching the new one.

On the other hand I like two cour because interrupting a really good story with a several month (or longer!) break really sucks. Yeah you can get back into it, and for people who marathon instead of watch weekly it's not really noticeable, but I personally don't like it. There's a lot of time investment in a two+ cour show, and the interruption means waiting even longer for the story to finish and it disrupts the immersion/flow of the narrative.

Some stories can be told in arcs and so split works fine, but other stories need volumes and are better told as one narrative flow.

In fact I'll push it farther. I wish anime companies would stop producing so much anime based on unfinished manga without bothering to create a good stopping point or non-asspull ending (yeah Claymore, I'm looking at you). It's not like the world lacks finished manga stories, and there are tons of cancelled/dropped stories that wouldn't be so bad to pick up and complete either. Many of them are quite popular in critical acclaim if not in sales. Yeah, I'm still waiting for my Record of a Fallen Vampire and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer animes.