View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 23:16   Link #486
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering that since 1980, the United States has not invaded Iran, despite the suggestion that the only contries the US doesn't invade have nukes, should point to the ones being at least slightly more reasonable.

We've embargoed them. Supplied their Iraqi enemy in a war (and got bit my it), sold weapons to them (reportedly in exchange for hostiges) post-1980 (we sold weapons to them before 1979 as they were an ally against the Soviets. We'd been building them four modern destroyers and sold them F-14 Tomcats with Phoenix missiles just before 1979). The loss of Iran as an ally likely lead to the Soviets getting cocky and invading Afghanistan in 1980. The US attacked Iranian naval vessels and platforms i the 1980s in responce to attacks on oil shipping in the Gulf by Iran, and an attack on a US Navy frigate.

The responce we get from Iran usually sounds like we are the most evil thing on the planet next to Israel (which got lumped in with us after 1979 as well). The question is if they just mean our government (which in some respects changes every several years by vote), or out people and culture as well. The head of state for Iran has changed once due to death. Their President is elected and has term limits...and I will be happy once their current president is out of office, since he's come across as a shit disturber ever since he go into a position anyone in the West might hear him.

VCV - I seem to recall you mentioning that if Romney was elected there was no hope left for America. Well we didn't elect Romney. Now what?