Thread: Feedback Anime Suki's Spoiler Policy
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-13, 00:09   Link #58
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
While it is crudely put, its not far from the truth as far as the spoiler policy goes. The fact is the fans who are highlighting these issues about the current spoiler policy remains in the very minority, a blip on the radar if I may be blunt. What's more.. all of those issues were considered in one way or the other at the time and it was still put into affect just because it addresses the core issues with spoiler. And as long as this policy works to protect the majority who are vulnerable to spoiler, it will be in place.
If i may be blunt, the current rules don't solve anything. They just choose to explicitly side with one opinion over another without reason, compromise, or fairness. Im sure the others who enjoy spoilers are just as annoyed, if not more so, than the anti-spoiler group back before the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
How about just having a [manga][/manga], [game][/game], [novel][/novel] and [speculation][/speculation] tag. (with maybe short forms like [m] [g] [n] [?] for convenience)

They won't work on the "click me to open" principle, as that has failed. They also don't presume or require a title, as that is unreliable and perhaps even misleading. They instead work using cookies (ie. store data in your browsers little memory). You are asked a simple yes/no question and your answer as well as information to identify in which thread you've gave it will be stored in the cookie. Say this was the [manga] tag, the question would be "Have you read the manga? [yes] [no]" (words in brakets would be buttons).
  • Suppose I clicked yes for novel, then I'll see a little symbol at the start of the text to show me its from that medium and at the end another small symbol/icon to show me the block ended.

• Suppose I clicked no for novel, then I see a different symbol/icon that shows me there's a little bit related to the novel in the post, but besides that I don't see anything else.

The question should preferably appear at the top (ie. first line) of the post as a sort of header (rather on the spot). Once answered for one post it is, as mentioned earlier, applied to all posts in the thread. Oh and, all 3 tags should be treated as inlined, not block as is the case with the [spoiler] tag, so that you may write them inside your paragraphs with out spliting your paragraphs in the process.
Advantages,
  • Everyone can stick together and discuss in the same place; cross media discussion is generally fun and common topic,
  • You are not forced to answer the question. If you don't the content just stays hidden, so its just like answering "no".
  • There's no "spoiler severity", the tags are there for marking. You are responsible for yourself. Do you fear information related to the manga? then if you lied that you read the manga you burn by your own hand.
  • We don't have to second guess wording in our speculation; you just mark it as speculation. As a bonus, people that don't want to discuss/read speculation can skip it and everyone else knows its speculation.
There's of course one extra requirement to make it work. The following rule, (this doesn't even touch the "spoiler policy" mind you)
So how do moderators work with this? well you just browse around and look for "unmarked content". You don't need to know what it should be marked with, you just need to be able to notice its not marked with anything. Since speculation needs to be marked too there's no ambiguity. Basically we eliminate the need to have the notion of spoiler defined, by defining everything that might be a spoiler instead (hm, did I get this backwards?).
I really like your idea Cats, however unless the mods decide to flip-flop again and rename another "main" reason for the spoiler change, it wont address the "pages and pages" of spoilers (which i have never seen on this site anyways) that they say is the root of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Not for nothing SeedFreedom, but you show no respect for those who dislike spoilers. Your view is one sided despite what you may think or say. Your signature is proof enough of that (which you should change seeing as how you spoiled it for me and who knows how many other people).

Its not a difficult thing to go to another thread to talk about something by the way. vB's subscription system is easy to use and helps you find the topic you need to go to easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
SeedFreedom, your main point seems to be that "If someone is spoiled, big deal its not the end of the world. This gives off a vibe that tells me (as put by DragoZero) that you don't have respect for those who dislike spoilers. At this point you're just venting and not providing constructive ideas towards a reasonable change that would make everyone happy.

Anyways as for my thoughts on this whole thing. I pretty much like the the current policy used on this sight, though it does have its impracticalities. Those impracticalities are not knowing at times where to go within the forum to have a "spoiler" discussion. Most notably, series that have no sub-forum. Now this usually leads to having to find a manga/light novel thread for the anime (if there is a manga/novel adaptation for it) and this is what some find as an inconvenience. I believe in these situations a link should be provided in the first post of the thread linking to the appropriate page of where to hold a "spoiler approved" discussion. I believe this could prove useful in providing people where to go without much effort on their part (if it is really that much of an inconvenience for them searching for the thread themselves).

Just finished posting this after Cats presented that idea and now I must also give my good word too it. Great idea Cats.
I'll address this generally to those who are upset at my attitude. My contempt isn't to those who want to keep spoiler-free, nor to those who just plain really dislike spoilers. My contempt is to the "holier-than-thou" attitude these people sometimes adopt. They treat everything as if its the end of the world and its the worse possible event in existence. They ruthlessly tear apart at somebody for saying "person a will get some development" like its the end of the series spoiler, and they feel they are entitled to have everyone protect them and any accidental spoilers are solely the responsibility of the poster and none on themselves. Now i am sorry if it seems i am blaming everyone, and i know many of you are very reasonable people, but i am very annoyed. I have put forth many many reasonable suggestions which would allow both parties to enjoy the boards, but the mods are dead set on not changing for your vocal majority.

About my current signature, the book has been out for years, the movie has been released, and even the Simpsons have parodied it. I think that is more than enough time.

Last edited by SeedFreedom; 2009-11-13 at 00:19.