Thread: Feedback Anime Suki's Spoiler Policy
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-13, 01:39   Link #59
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
How about just having a [manga][/manga], [game][/game], [novel][/novel] and [speculation][/speculation] tag. (with maybe short forms like [m] [g] [n] [?] for convenience)
Now I get to be flippant for once. That is quite possibly the single worst idea I have ever heard come from anyone on this topic. And people are so freakin' desperate to see spoilers allowed in anime threads that they jump on board like "hey, great idea, dude!"

You have not thought this through at all.

If people aren't even able to label things now with a text box, you think things are suddenly going to get better because you've now given them even more ways to get it wrong? And now we're going to have to moderate because some moron clicked "speculation" when he meant "novel" and spoiled the world on some major secret? Besides, not everyone who has read the novels has read all the novels; some have only read the translations, and some have read the raws. Are you now going to add more tags for the language of the medium as well? Or maybe someone would be okay with spoilers for novel 4, but they just haven't gotten to novel 7 yet -- oops, it's all or nothing! Further, you really expect people to grasp the subtleties of applied tags when they're only able to view the thread from their own "spoiler-allowed" perspective with some "little boxes"? Are you going to give them some sort of "preview" so they can make sure it looks acceptable to outsiders and they didn't screw up the tags? 'Cuz that's likely... And, besides that, what about all the other thoughts that went into the policy? "Fix" this one issue and everything else be damned?

Hey, here's a thought: it's called threads. Maybe we could, say, have one thread for the anime, one for the manga, one for the novel, and then people could just pick the one that contains the one they want to discuss. If they want to do a comparison, they could just pick whichever media is further ahead in the story. Is that really so hard? Or wait, apparently it is, because it fractures the conversation. Well guess what, the conversation is already fractured because the audience isn't all on the same playing field. All this crap is just because a small minority think it's so important that they get to discuss their precious spoilers in the anime thread, since they can't be bothered to perform the small gesture of taking it outside. Posting on this forum is not some sort of right.

I at least applaud the fact that you're trying to be constructive, but no. Hell no. The problem was never that people lacked the option or prompting to do it right. The problem was also not that we lacked the technology to make it easy to manage. The problem is that people just can't be bothered to do it right because they don't give a damn. They won't give more of a damn if you make it even more complicated to do it right. They can't even put the right description in a box that says "What is your spoiler about?".

Made. Of. Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
If i may be blunt, the current rules don't solve anything. They just choose to explicitly side with one opinion over another without reason, compromise, or fairness. Im sure the others who enjoy spoilers are just as annoyed, if not more so, than the anti-spoiler group back before the change.

[...]

I really like your idea Cats, however unless the mods decide to flip-flop again and rename another "main" reason for the spoiler change, it wont address the "pages and pages" of spoilers (which i have never seen on this site anyways) that they say is the root of the problem.
No. You keep trying to re-package the issue as if it's about one simple problem that takes one simple solution. I've been trying -- and clearly failing -- to explain that it's a multi-faceted issue that addresses many problems at once. There is no "flip-flopping" and there's no "choosing one opinion over another". Many different people brought many different perspectives to the table and came up with a policy that addressed as many as possible in one go. I've also explained -- at length -- the issues that the spoiler policy has, in fact, solved. You just don't care about any of those objectives because they don't align with your own. How convenient for you and your argument. But if you want to actually have a hope in convincing anyone that has an ability to actually change this policy, you'll have to do a lot better than this. Otherwise it's just you and your spoiler-loving buddies patting yourselves on the back, like "Hey, I'm so right! You're so right! We're all so right, and they're idiots for not seeing it our way!" ... because that's so how you bring about organizational change. Yup...

At this point, I'm ready to say just post in the topic for the medium you want to discuss and get over it. It may not be perfect, but it's not as hard or as devastating as you all make it out to be. You've just all up and decided, like little children, "I don't want to try to work within the rules, because the rules are wrong", and do little more than pout and complain that it's not fair. Sorry, but I'm fresh out of sympathy.

I'm going to lock this thread now because I'm fairly certain that further discussion on this topic will be nothing but more back-patting between the small circle that are in favour of this change with little effort to actually come up with real solutions that reflect and consider all the facets of this problem. If someone has a constructive suggestion, then please post the suggestion only -- not the "rhetoric" -- in a new thread. But before you do that I want you to really carefully think everything through and consider all of the arguments that are at play, and not simply what you personally think is important. Posting another thread that just aims to continue the rhetoric of this thread is pointless because we've gone around in circles enough times now and we're not getting anywhere. So take some time, think about it, and we'll talk again once people are ready with concrete, workable ideas and positive, constructive suggestions.