View Single Post
Old 2010-05-03, 04:10   Link #264
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Nothing I saw in the four chapters have changed my initial opinion that Yurippe is an idiot. In fact her behavior is somewhat childish in that she wants to throw a monkey wrench into a system she doesn't understand. Yurippe is assuming that Tenshi is an angel based on supernatural powers in a supernatural place. We know that this afterlife is somewhat abnormal as they are using Christian mythology and in the afterlife there should be no pain(Christian basis).
While I don't disagree with the idea that Yuri is an idiot (though I think there is more to it than that, most of it not quite so charming), this afterlife isn't fully using Christian mythology. The idea of a sort of 'limbo' between death and rebirth, or rebirth at all, is more commonly found in the Buddhistic mythology, though it depends which of the schools you follow.

Quote:
@Keroko
Actually we were given a huge red herring in the OP when it shows her with wings.
True, but I'd think we were used to symbolism in OP's by now. Again, this does not change that many of us believed Yuri's words about this world, Tenshi, NPC's and whatnot. If we did it, how can we expect the people in the universe itself, who would be a dozen times more confused, not to simply grasp onto the first person to explain things.

In my opinion, this is one of Tenshi's mistakes. Many people, Otonashi included, would not have fallen into Yuri's battalion had Tenshi calmly and reasonably explained the situation.

Quote:
Also the characters interact with her on a semi daily basis so they would be more familiar with her behavior than we would. How many angels need food or sleep?
To that I would ask: How many angels to do you know that don't? For that matter, how many angels do you know at all?

Imagine, you've died and arrive in a new world, utterly confused. Someone welcomes you and tells you a random girl is an angel. You see that random girl conjuring steel blades out of nothing, use shields that deflect bullet and create after images the likes of which you've only seen in movies and anime.

After witnessing all that, would you with your confused head still not believe that first persons words about the girl being an angel might be true?