View Single Post
Old 2010-05-03, 04:25   Link #266
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
While I don't disagree with the idea that Yuri is an idiot (though I think there is more to it than that, most of it not quite so charming), this afterlife isn't fully using Christian mythology. The idea of a sort of 'limbo' between death and rebirth, or rebirth at all, is more commonly found in the Buddhistic mythology, though it depends which of the schools you follow.

True, but I'd think we were used to symbolism in OP's by now. Again, this does not change that many of us believed Yuri's words about this world, Tenshi, NPC's and whatnot. If we did it, how can we expect the people in the universe itself, who would be a dozen times more confused, not to simply grasp onto the first person to explain things.

In my opinion, this is one of Tenshi's mistakes. Many people, Otonashi included, would not have fallen into Yuri's battalion had Tenshi calmly and reasonably explained the situation.

To that I would ask: How many angels to do you know that don't? For that matter, how many angels do you know at all?

Imagine, you've died and arrive in a new world, utterly confused. Someone welcomes you and tells you a random girl is an angel. You see that random girl conjuring steel blades out of nothing, use shields that deflect bullet and create after images the likes of which you've only seen in movies and anime.

After witnessing all that, would you with your confused head still not believe that first persons words about the girl being an angel might be true?
This could be a form of purgatory which would be more consistent with Christian mythology but that's speculation. The main point being that they(the characters) believe that the God in control is the Christian god.

The main problem I have with the characters is that nobody is trying to find out the limits of this world and are fine with playing out this high school fantasy(for the most part anyway). Nobody has tried to run away or tried to blow up the school or just walking in a random direction and seeing how far they can go.

*Points at Dogma*On a more serious note this same issue came up in BSG and I'll admit that I have no clue what an angel does or even looks like but I would argue that the popular view of angels is that of beings who are physical manifestations of God but not constrained by physical limitations. I mean how many pictures or even just mental imagery do we have of Lucifer taking a leak or wanting some chicken. In this case it doesn't matter so much what angels actually are but what would be common sense for the main characters who interact with Tenshi on a daily basis.