View Single Post
Old 2010-05-03, 04:46   Link #268
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
This could be a form of purgatory which would be more consistent with Christian mythology but that's speculation. The main point being that they(the characters) believe that the God in control is the Christian god.

The main problem I have with the characters is that nobody is trying to find out the limits of this world and are fine with playing out this high school fantasy(for the most part anyway). Nobody has tried to run away or tried to blow up the school or just walking in a random direction and seeing how far they can go.
Actually, Yuri did think of something similar that at one point in the first chapter of the novel.

The later though, agreed. I hope they mention that being tried at some point in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
*Points at Dogma*On a more serious note this same issue came up in BSG and I'll admit that I have no clue what an angel does or even looks like but I would argue that the popular view of angels is that of beings who are physical manifestations of God but not constrained by physical limitations. I mean how many pictures or even just mental imagery do we have of Lucifer taking a leak or wanting some chicken. In this case it doesn't matter so much what angels actually are but what would be common sense for the main characters who interact with Tenshi on a daily basis.
And the popular view of heaven is a cloudy Greek-looking paradise, while the popular view of purgatory is nothing short of a spiraling torture. Considering this afterlife ahas already shattered either which the person believes himself to be in, adjusting their ideas of what an angel is would only be natural. After all, if the place itself doesn't resemble what you always thought, why should the beings that inhabit it?

Again, strange place, total confusion, people start explaining things to you, things start to make sense. It's human nature to accept the things that make sense instead of wondering, that's how gods were created in the first place: to explain the things that didn't make sense.

Yuri and the others are merely doing what humans have been doing for milenia. People don't understand what's going on, someone comes up with an explanation, people go "oh yeah, that makes sense" and believe the explanation.