View Single Post
Old 2012-02-28, 00:38   Link #1
Kunagisa

Shin Sekai Yori - General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
The story is set in Japan a millennium from now. Five children — the protagonist Saki, Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun — have been born and raised in a tranquil town that can be described as a utopia, overflowing with water and green foilage. The world is ruled by people who have the "cursed power" or the "gods' power" of telekinesis.

After a certain incident, Saki and the others come to realize the true nature of their world. Before long, they learn everything, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state. The five throw themselves into life-threatening adventure and fighting to protect friends and a world on the brink of collapse.
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/

Random Information
Quote:
The “New World” described here is a dystopia of the future. Humans have gained the power of telekinesis and coexist with a race called Bakenezumi/バケネズミ (lit. tl. Monster Rat), whose intelligence level matches the average human. Despite superficial peace, the children are monitored and “incompatible” memories are actively erased; ones who are deemed defected would be erased. The main protagonist’s friends have disappeared due to some minor infractions and became involved in the war between humans and Bakenezumi.

According to the author, the inspiration for Bakenezumi’s model comes from Heterocephalus glaber in East Africa. The said specie physically resembles rat, but the living pattern is similar to matriarchal societies of ants and bees. In the story, this specie is very aggressive, often very observant and deductive of human though process; their poaching/hunting of weak human is one of the main highlight of the novel

The title comes from Dvoark’s 9th Symphony. Kishi bought the LP for the recording during his last years in elementary school and never got tired of the performance. The work was successfully incorporated within the novel as well with focus in expressing the chilling terror of the madrigal. With the closing chapter, this novel revealed to the readers a bitter and astounding “truth”; as one critic commented, “[With] the finale of finale, the world created was turned on its head, this is the ultimate ingenuity of Sci-Fi.”

The novel took three and half years to complete.
Author:
Kishi Yusuke
Quote:
Winner of 4th Japan Horror Novel Award
Winner of 58th Mystery Writers of Japan Award
Winner of 29th Japan Science Fiction Award
Winner of 1st Yamada Futaro Award
Staff:
Director: Ishihama Masashi
Series Composition: Sogo Masashi
Production: A-1 Pictures

Cast:
Watanabe Saki: Taneda Risa
Asahina Satoru: Toujou Kanako
Akizuki Maria: Hanazawa Kana
Itou Mamoru: Kudou Haruka
Aomuma Shun: Toudou Mai

Others:
Manga will begin serializing 5/9 on Bessatsu Shounen Magazine (same as the one Shingeki no Kyojin is currently serializing in).

---

As a mystery/Sci-fi fan, this is a huge treat. When I was at the height of my mystery fanaticism, this author's Glass Hammer (硝子のハンマー) was recommended to me because it was supposed to be an innovative take on the closed-room mystery murder case troop. I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw the announcement for this series and people talking about it again. To say I'm excited is quite the under statement. However, I personally has never trusted A-1 to do fight scenes well, but somehow (unrelated) this has a Ghibli feel to it that rather draws me in still.

It's worth noting the anime expo mentioned in the original post will have the PV showcased. I personally have no idea why the studios continue to adapt these novels (Another, Hyou-ka, Gosick, KamiMemo etc.), I think it's obvious that late night TV horror/mystery anime will never sell well, though I'm definitely not complaining. I am guessing we might be able to see this air within the year as a 1 cour series.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2012-03-12 at 18:58.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote