View Single Post
Old 2006-08-24, 21:11   Link #15
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I've heard Suiko II is the best of them all. Which is why I have it ready to play in the future, along with Breath of Fire IV, Front Mission III and Kartia.. all for the Playstation

As for Lunar: SSS, I don't even remember whether I completed the game. I think I reached the final dungeon and didn't feel spurred on to complete it.. regardless, it is quite a classic RPG. There is nothing inventive or innovative in it when you play as a modern gamer, but I suspect it was quite great in its time and that RPGs thereafter did take it as a prototype, lending its elements to build on.

For some reason, I still have a great liking for reasonably high-resolution 2D RPGs (Chrono Trigger is an exception despite being low-res). Perhaps the pixel art reflects an anime style more than anything else, and I'm hopeful that some future games will continue to utilize pixel art! : O It's painstaking work, but I really like its aesthetic presentation.
I wouldn't argue with anyone who said Suiko 2 was the best, though I still have more love for 5 for some reason. I'd strongly recommend you play Suiko 1 before 2 though, seen as in many ways it's a direct sequel (although it's not focused around the same hero you do recruit many of the same characters and it's nice to know them already, Viktor and Flik especially). Pretty much the only complaint I could level at Suiko 2 was the major battles were pretty meh. The first game's were simple but fun even if it was just basically a game of rock-paper-scissors. The second game's on the other hand is more like a typical strategy RPG except it's way too random and only any fun if you're some kind of masochist. 5 easily has the best major battles, it's kind of like a miniature Age of Empires style game where you allocate heroes to lead each regiment/fleet of ships which gives them bonuses and spells, then move your units across the map and make them attack each other with certain types being strong against others. Plus the music's a fantastic remix of the first game's major battle music that was a huuge nostalgia trip It was the first game I ever bought the OST for and I still don't regret it.

I think everything Lunar stands for really lies in execution to be honest, I don't think it was even innovative for its time. Still, it's got many a genuinely funny moment, the music's great and it's got a very classic feel to it, so I like it Probably not as much as people who played it years ago though, I always feel like I'm missing something when they talk about it Maybe I'm just not far enough in. As for art, anything works for me so long as it's not cel-shading. God I hate cel-shading

The SO3 tutorial is useless though. Seriously, I just skimmed through it, learned basically nothing and picked it up later by way of 'ooo this makes me do a cool aerial flip, I'll use that more'. Sakuraba's music tends to be better liked by people who haven't played most of the games he's composed for, because he doesn't vary his style much. Still, I loved SO3's stuff, especially one of the battle themes at the very end of the first disc. Shame they only used that track, what, twice? Oh well...
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote