View Single Post
Old 2012-10-25, 13:11   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ah, but here's the nub of it: One doesn't need a totalitarian state to make people's lives miserable based on mistaken impressions. We're already doing this quite perfectly every day, with or without the help of institutional controls. My key point is: What makes the Psycho-Pass system any worse than society as it exists today?
Being treated like a convicted felon and worse at five years old, that's what.

I'm not a fanatic, even if I'm not crazy about their arrest procedures when it comes to victims. I acknowledge the PP could be a very useful tool. I'd be willing to compromise quite a lot on the presumption of innocence if something like that really existed. But wherever I'd draw the line, you can be sure it'd be far before the point where small children are condemned to life without parole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
LOL. What are you now, my psychiatrist? Unless you've scanned my psycho-pass, I daresay you aren't anywhere near qualified to say that I'm "upset about being labelled gay". (It's a privately-held suspicion that crops up pretty often now, in any case, given that I remain happily single at my age.)
In his defense, you've beeen oddly defensive about what is a really rather minor matter. Especially the vocabulary you've used. Haven't you talked about "accusations", "horribly"

IRL, I probably wouldn't notice. But this is a show. The clues provided make "sex" a rather natural assumption, and one that doesn't matter. Not yet, maybe not ever, except to tell us how they while away their time, cooped up in that building with the same faces day in and day out. (If you'd seen the doctor put away game controllers, would you argue there was no reason to conclude they'd been playing video games?)

Re: Dawkins: I noticed he didn't say anything about the fact we often scrap whole machines if repairing them becomes too costly. Which can be a remarkably low threshold.