View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 12:07   Link #47
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Why do I need to repeat myself? And Tougeki does not play old games? Care to tell me why 3rd strike is still in there?
Ever heard of the thrid strike HD remake. Of course i know they don't play that on the arcades, but it was remade last year so it sparked some interest again for tournaments. Just like that the Jojo HD remake (the one made by capcom, not the unreleased 3d fighting game) will likely get it in some tournaments later.

Quote:
Sorry chap but SS is a cult hit. Ura tougeki :-/ You brought this to yourself really.
Ura tougeki does not always mean obscure but it rather uses "broken fighting games" (as in cheap). Like Soul Calibur 2 and 3 are hardly obescure in both the the Western or the Eastern countries.
It's the same as the American people played MvC2 tournaments in which infinites/loops and other things were available due to the bad design and it was allowed.
Also only the 4th game were played in those tournaments, because of it's balancement issues.

You deliberately neglicted the fact that there have been no new Samurai spirits released in the past few years , so of course it won't show up in many major tournaments.

Quote:
No, you did not disprove my point. I don't know why you keep on insisting that these secondary attributes did not matter when I never did say that.
Yet, you can't prove your own point by using another example than BRS.

Quote:
lol? Since when did picking up a show translated into identifiable characters? So I picked up a show blindly how is that relevant here?
So you are still trying to say that Madoka is primarily identifiable because of the character desgns and the entire story, grim atmosphere, Faust comparisons and many others were just secundary factors? I find it hard to believe that everyone will agree with you that people watched it mostly for the visuals.

Quote:
It is a trait by the watcher for the show. Do you need me to point out how laughable your argument is? Also since you're already going knee deep into this. I am telling you now. I have watched anime for 17 years. I have watched 9 Shaft shows 6 of which I have dropped. So much for loyalty huh?
So? Isn't the point of this discussion talking about the traits what makes a show identifiable?
Also loyalty does not mean that you have to like everything. Fans of George Lucas, Steven Spielberg or Ridley Scott don't automatically love every film they have made. But based on their experiences, they might want to try (as in what you also did with Madoka or some people did with Ridley Scott's Prometheus ) some of their films.

Quote:
You were the one who brought Ryo into this. And no characters not being revamped for a long time does not disprove my point. Do you want me to ask you now why those other characters id not get revamped?
yes, i originally brought him up in the first place as an example of character appearances that he does not look too different from ninja's. Yet you were the one reintroducing him in this discussion as a filler secundary discussion about changes over the time.

Quote:
And did I ever say that a character is only about appearances. You seem to keep on insisting that I did. You can easily go back a few pages to see you know.
You emphasize on designs alot for someone who is saying that it's not only about appearances
Quote:
Yes, they would especially for characters with outstanding designs. How do you think Nakoruru became popular whereas the game she came from was an utter disappointment?

Make a gallery composed of 100 pictures, put 2 pictures of necron, put 2 of okabe, and have people with no knowledge of them browse through them. More likely than not more people would inquire about Necron. Does it matter if fans found Necron to be redundant while Okabe is the main of a popular series?
Quote:
Like I said, just make a gallery... insert pictures of plain guy who did great things in his series then insert pictures of let's say Erio Touwa too in that gallery. Show to people who have no knowledge of them and see which character would people inquire more about. It's a no brainer that more people will inquire about Erio.
Quote:
Like I said it's not a counter. Please I know for a fact that there are tons of well designed characters out there that didn't become popular no need to point out the obvious. What part of "everything else is secondary" do you not understand? Just because character quirks, traits, and whatnot are only secondary does not mean they cannot make a character recognizable.

How do you even begin to apply your interpretation on BRS before the OVA and anime came out? I won't deny that I'm focusing on one aspect of what he mentioned but you know it's the only aspect you can even use on every character. Every character has it's own design be it written or drawn but not every character enjoys exposure and development.

Now let me ask you this: Why do you think Tecmo deemed it necessary to revamp Ryo's character design?
Quote:
Of course not but the fact of the matter is character design can spawn that much. Can you say the same for all plain looking characters who do great things in their unknown series?

Even in written works a character's outside appearance is always established first the moment that character is available for scrutiny before delving any further. It does not go the other way around.
Quote:
Yeah cause every female character in their own games got popular right? Their character design has absolutely nothing to do with it...

Does it matter how many times they revamped designs? The fact of the matter is character designs are being changed to appeal. Personally I'm at loss why you are still arguing about this or do you need me to tell you that appeal leads to recognition?

You say it is pretty obvious but it looks to me you don't understand why the outside appearance is described first. Oh and did you know that first and primary are synonyms?

Tell me how can people recognize Madoka in a picture drawn by a fanartist? How can people recognize Madoka in a doujinshi acting like a perverted old man? I'm going to tell you now that being animated by Shaft does not have anything to do with it.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-07-18 at 12:19.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote