View Single Post
Old 2010-08-22, 14:20   Link #39
Belmondo

Is posting consecutively fine?

Elsewhere (not here) I've read all these complaints about her and her arc being normal to the point of mundane, due to the far-out Haruka arc airing directly before it. But isn't "normality" the real draw behind Kaoru's story? Her hair, while awesome, is just a hook to draw in people.

The "close friends becoming closer lovers" thing is tried and tested, sure. But besides that, the attitudes and situations displayed in the arc were quite down-to-earth, except for the belly kiss. Being from a single-parent family, being a working student to help pay the bills, that's part of life for many. The remarriage drama subplot was nothing out of the ordinary either.

Coming to the belly kiss, that level of kinkiness seems to be only there because it's Amagami. It's an arousing hook, I admit. But I found less kinky stuff like mock-married-couple antics, play-biting and tickling much more appealing - stuff that two friends physically comfortable with each other are more likely to do (though there’s a big difference between play-biting and tickling). Compared to others. her arc isn’t that kinky because her character type is the friend by your side, at your back, who messes with you but all in good fun. In other words, a "bro."

Weeks ago someplace, people were saying Morishima was like vanilla ice cream while she was like chocolate with toppings. I’d say it’s largely the opposite, character-wise – Kaoru is more like tried-and-tested vanilla, with chocolate sprinkles to represent her playful, even violent side. Or better, she is to Morishima what home cooking is to fine dining, or coffee is to expensive wine. Kaoru is homey, a homie, and because she’s not the school idol, by default more homely.

What did people who thought her and her arc were too normal expect? Stuff like the belly kiss multiplied a hundred times while the story remains shallow? Count me out.

Last edited by Belmondo; 2010-08-22 at 16:08.