View Single Post
Old 2008-05-06, 12:43   Link #9
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Day View Post
The later episodes offer a greater character selection than the earlier ones because more characters were introduced in the second half of the series. All of the character will probably be featured but I expect it to remain focused on Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. For the Lucky Channel segment, I expect Minoru, and maybe even Akira, to become part of the regular show. They will not be main characters, but part of the show nevertheless.

I would love to see a teenaged boy, possibly Minoru, call one of the main characters, probably Konata, over the phone pretending to be a girl about Yutaka's age. During the call he sets her up on a date with himself. What Minoru did not count on is she has genuine feelings for the "girl who never was". Realizing he can not hide what he has done, Minoru confesses and discovers that he is a "lucky star". This is what I would like to see but I sincerely doubt it will happen. The idea might make a good Lucky Star fanfic if I decide to take the time and effort to write one.

Greetings!

You pop an interesting question: for any anime series past or present, has fanfiction/doujinshi ever been tapped as original resource material? The slightest hint I heard is a fanfiction writer was contacted by an animation house was for Ramna 1/2. My dad recalls that one or two fans actually had their scripts produced for the old Star Trek show, so I guess it's not impossible. I'm just a babe in the woods, but my best guess with L*S is that the OVA is a season 2 surrogate, especially what the American market. IMO L*S's humor is far too sublime for action/blood&guts driven anime America (even the PPG was like that), and I regret L*S would have as much chance here as the few romance anime there is. From what I hear on-line, outfits as the Cartoon Network weren't exactly hopping up and down over L*S at the NY Comics show. I think we might have to rest content with L*S continuing on as DVDS instead of a season two.

IF a season two, how to "adapt" L*S for America? I agree with Vexx: prune out the heavy anime and Jap product/TV references for starters. Maybe if you substituted such with American counterparts it might work, but the work involved would probably be prohibitive. So, back to basics; drill the manga itself as source material. If we go that route, then how far could that original material get you? I haven't seen any L*S mangas past volume one so I don't know roughly how many mangas packs one episode, but judging from volume one you might be able to put away what – two or three per episode? Also remember the series stuffed a lot of scenes that weren't in the manga too, like the beach thing. Can you exhaust all L*S manga source material before you finish a full second season? I dunno. (If it does, then it begs the wild imagination of what a latter second or even a wistful third season might be like; almost all non-Yoshimizu material? That might even be good thing!) I think the OVA route avoids all this via drips and dabs of manga on a DVD and maybe that's how L*S will continue on (at least for Americans).

Maybe another thing going against a season two (here) is unless you make it a literal extension of season one, you either have to frequently flash over to the antics of the original quad in college or hope the "new group" can win over the hearts and minds of their fans, but I don't see that (unless they do a "Dallas" with season two with the original crew). Many fans have their faves welded to the first girls, and outside some yori teases, this new group to me doesn't feel all that unique or interesting (except perhaps Hiyori and one-foot-in-the-grave Yu-chan) to really grab a fandom. It might be necessary to go the Twilight Zone route a'la Yamato to really make a pure high school L*S season two interesting (hey, it sounds crazy, but those in the know would know that even "serious" and earthy daytime soap operas used to dip some pretty freaky and weird stuff to spice up the series!). Neither is trapping the quad in high school for another run (as "super seniors"?) out of the question – after all, we never got to their graduation! My stop's coming up so gotta close up.

Well, IMHO. Then I could be like Tsukasa – ALL wrong!!

Take care burning all!

Dee
("Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret," "Kanata's Dream," "Kanata Thawed.")