View Single Post
Old 2004-01-15, 01:21   Link #81
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Many series other people have picked are favorites and many are great shows but these series really deserve all the love I can give them...

1. (and definitely my favorite) Tenshi ni Narumon! It's got interesting visual style, gorgeous and improbable (and lovable) characters (Silky-sama!), lush music and the wackiest mecha ever (including a flying machine that runs on, erm, methane- it's important to eat lots of beans and stuff before flying it...). The story is MUCH darker and sadder than many people would think if they haven't seen the whole series; I found it cathartic.

2. Akihabara Dennou Gumi is a parody of magical girls anime with excellent characterization, solid SF and some conspiracy theory tossed into the plot. It's got good visual quality (designs similar to Saber J) and the most Okui Masami music I ever heard packed into one show (the rest of the music is great too). It's recently been licensed after sitting around for like 4 years in limbo; I hope the show gets some more love when it comes out 'cause I wanna see a sub of the movie ^_^;;;

3. Chou Kuse ni Narisou is a cheapo comedy based on a Nakyoshi manga from the early 90s. It's endearingly cheezy and goofy, with noticably LOW visual quality and tacky music (you can even hear when they recycle the seiyuu at times). The main character (Nagisa) is an idol singer with a terrible voice; you get to hear her same 2 or 3 lousy songs in the show over and over again. But if it was mediocre it would suck...

The writing is tight and funny though. There are references to things like 60s spy films, student terrorism in Japan (back in the late 60s), and urban legends (there's a whole episode about what happens to pet alligators who get flushed down the toilet). There's even a show about how crappy Nagisa is at singing! And I have to mention Momoko, Nagisa's insane scene-stealing rival, who stages a bizarre street performance in every episode!

4. Oniisama E. I love the carefully crafted visual design, the heavy relationships (it's almost like there's no plot; the characters just get together and BAM!), the incredible voice acting, even the enka music, which just fits right in... Shoujo Kakumei Utena without the training wheels.

5. Shin Seiki Evangelion.

My favorite movie is Patlabor WXIII.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote