View Single Post
Old 2006-09-30, 08:17   Link #29
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron
I think he is just comparing it with the Wii Remote, since both have some form of motion sense.
That could be, however the PS3 tilt functionality seems to be very, very basic compared to everything that's packed into both the Wiimote and the nunchuck attachment. They may cost more than what they would with the old Dual Shock rumble feature, but not as much as the Wii controller+nunchuck.

Still, quite right that it's just speculation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756
The PS3 MIGHT not be overpriced when it is released. Sony is once again, able to play the new media format card like they did with the PS2.
Blu-Ray is also up against HD-DVD so there's another obstacle in Blu-Ray adoption that DVD didn't have.
Another thing you're forgetting, DVD was already well established as the accepted new media format when the PS2 hit. DVD players were expensive, but not that expensive, and they were already fairly well established in the marketplace. It was simply a matter of time before they became as common as television sets.

BluRay does not enjoy that sense of inevitability.

Also, one really has to wonder; Will the PS3 be as good a BluRay player as the PS2 was such a good DVD player? I mean, jeez. Everyone I know who bought their PS2 because they wanted a DVD player went sorely dissapointed. Lots of skipping, so many DVDs they simply would not play. Sure, the PS2 was a cheap DVD player, but lets not forget, it was a cheap DVD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
The problem with the Wii, is that since Nintendo is planning on multiple devices as attachments for the Wii-Mote (and replace the Nunchuck, depending on the game), that for certain that for quite a few games, we'll have to buy 3-4 different devices for our Wii-Mote for each multiplayer games that needs a different kind of remote attachment.
If that comes to pass, and these attachments do indeed cost $20 or more as assumed, that would indeed be a problem. I won't argue that. However, history leads me to believe this will not be the case. Look at this previous generation, as well as the full generation before that. Nintendo has a history of including neccessary extras and attachments at little to no extra cost to the gamers. Donkey Conga costs about as much as any Gamecube game, and comes with the bongos. Starfox64 came with the rumble attachment for the N64 controllers and Rogue Squadron came with the N64 memory expansion. Some versions of Crystal Chronicles even came with a spare GBA-to-GameCube wire, if memory serves me.

And so, with that in mind I suspect very, very few games will require any additional attachment. Those that do, I expect will include the attachment with minimal, if any, cost to gamers.