View Single Post
Old 2010-06-11, 17:46   Link #1052
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
Ah, come on. He was outclassed to begin with, and he *was* just a kid. I felt genuinely sorry for him. Lawrence and Horo were playing him like pros, and it's only because they had a ridiculous love spat that there was any tension at all. He got what he deserved for his youthful ignorance and naivety, just like Lawrence and Horo both learned their own painful lessons.
It's true, its only down to the argument they had that there was any tension, but it was painfully obvious that Lawrence and Holo were more than just travelling companions but friends at the very least, and trying to force them apart was wrong regardless of his supposed motives (which lets be honest turned out to not just have been pure at heart).

Despite being 'just a kid' the story also makes note of the fact he started earlier than most and is actually fairly experienced, so he's not a greenhorn or a novice, not to mention he's fairly ruthless.

Long and short of it, he tried to poach another man's lady [I'm pretty sure even some of the other traders in the episode where it fell apart said the same], and more insultingly, wrap it in a veneer of respectability, charity and altruism, when in fact it was nothing of the sort.
I don't like that sort of behaviour in the real world, and I don't like it in a story, unless they're already trying to end it, you should never steal another guys woman!

Have to admit you're one of the few people I've spoken to who felt sorry for him, he's not a popular character amongst most of the people I know who've seen the show.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote