View Single Post
Old 2011-01-31, 19:51   Link #386
darkalpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Uh can we not bring this thread into a whole "I hate religion" thing or blame everything on religion?
Sorry, that wasn't quite my intention - I was trying to point it out as an example why I find the premise of the sudden reversal of the superority roles in such short time to be unfeasible. Now, if it was over couple of decades later into the future, that may be more feasible. But only couple of years? You can't sweep centuries of male superiority under rug like that so quickly.

And originally, I only wanted to post my original argument to get it out of my mind, but after seeing that Obama panel in the IS manga basically shoving IS balance responsibility onto Japan, that triggered another argument in my head.

There's just no way US would do something like that; in contrary US would easily become the biggest sponsor of IS research due to its obession in protecting its national interests and security. There's just so many military applications of IS, even if the IS mecha itself is off-limits to military (barrier, personal propulsion, improved beam/laser technology, exo-suits, and many more). Plus Japan and US are already major allies so all more the easier for US to invest into IS research.

China likely would be second to US in its pursing of interests in IS technology, whether by investing into research or stealing IS secrects, Japan probably would feel nervous about China's interest in its IS technology (they've always had strained relations, yet they're dependent on each other for commerce and exports/imports). China being on side of NK isn't likely going to help either. But they'll be more than eager to dump billions of dollars worth of funding into the research.

Spoiler for About a certain IS from episode 4...:

Same would go for UK, France, Germany, Russia, Israel, South Korea, and many more nations; Japan's going to have a large amount of willing investors into the IS research.

Even if military research is banned or prohibited (or on the opposite side, being widely shared due to MAD agreement), there's still plently of civillian applications of IS technology. NASA would be first in a long line of such agencies willing to pour billions of dollars into the research, since it would make space travel much more practical (no more cumbersome space suits, as well as more effecient protection from harsh elements of space), as well as aerospace industry (better flight capabilities if they could somehow harness the flight capability of IS for their aircrafts), and so on.

Even if IS technology has to be moderated in a way to ensure that no nation would have overwhelming advantage, there simply won't be a lack of funding available for IS research.

Sorry for rambling here, but sometimes I over-analyze elements from anime that I happen to be enjoying at the moment. If they had simply made IS an AU as opposed to "near-future" story (like how Code Geass dealt with any real-world contradictions by going the AU route ), I'm sure I wouldn't be dwelling so much on fine details.
darkalpha is offline   Reply With Quote