View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 17:33   Link #49
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
It sounds like good reasoning to me honestly. Ultimately, they wanted to use what would work in the episode as opposed to just animating the scenes without any care to how they fit in the overall flow of the episode.
Or they were unable to include those parts for reasons like time constraints, poor planning and terrible priorities (Rin episode, etc) and then asked Gen to cover for them with some made-up justification in order to appease the disappointed fanbase. You're free to believe otherwise of course but that's way more likely to have been the case in my view.

Quote:
How exactly would anyone animate that? Have Gilgamesh talk to himself while walking out of the mud? Give the scene an omnipresent narrator? Have the grail speak?

That was one scene that couldn't be translated into a visual medium without leaving a lot of people confused as to what is going on.
Uh, Fate/Stay Night is a Visual Novel and it had a bunch of scenes with Shirou inside the Grail/mud. As did its anime adaptation. There's plenty of ways they've could done it here, like having Gilgamesh surrounded by darkness while being asked questions in written text (plenty of anime do it) and responding to them as he does in the novel. Hell, in the Sound Drama they even gave the Grail a voice, so it's not like that's a problem.

And I don't think "leaving people confused as to what is going on" was really a major concern for them, given, you know, how they did the Arthur vs Lancelot fight. Or the way they dealt with Angra Mainyu in general, removing almost all of the foreshadowing for it and then throwing it at the viewers' faces all of a sudden near the end.

Quote:
Assuming you are talking about the Saber/Berserker fight, I didn't see it as being jarring at all, rather it gave the feeling of being lacking, until we seen the final episode and saw that they simply moved Lancelot's speech to cap off Saber's final moments before re-contracting with the world.
Except Lancelot's brief speech in episode 25 did not do justice to the novel's story in the slightest. It was an extremely condensed version of the entire story behind the fight, summarizing a five page long flashback in one sentence and then rushing through his actual last words in the novel (skipping the most emotionally charged portions, as I explained in my previous post). Plus the fact that the explanation for Lancelot's actions and feelings came after the actual events ruined any possible visceral impact the fight and his death might have had. And the explanation was so half-assed anyway that even on a re-watch I still wouldn't feel anything for the characters involved unless I'd read the novel.

Seriously, go listen to the Sound Drama version of Lancelot's death if you want to see the difference and how much of it the anime crapped all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And if they did try and squeeze it in, people would have complained that it didn't fit or something.
...How do you know that? Do you have access to some kind of parallel universe where they did include those parts to know what people's reactions to it would have been? Stop talking out of your ass, please.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote