Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-23, 14:28   Link #2928
porous_shield

Who said anything about social determinism? My original comment was whether anyone else had the same reaction as me to this anime and I then said why I think I had this reaction. you've been interpreting my comments for something they are not since the beginning.

Quote:
What the heck? I never ever attempted to paint myself as an objective judge of the series! See, this is what I mean by shortsightedness. Since you seem to believe that a series that portrays a fictitious religion is somehow challenging your atheist interpretation of the world, you believe that every atheist should think the same as you do. And that's bullshit, pure and simple.
This next quote seems to say that you somehow distanced religion and beliefs from this series and didn't even "think" about your relgion/beliefs while watching Simoun.

Quote:
I didn't feel compelled to even think about atheism or whatever religion I hold while I was watching the series. The fact that you are makes me think that you're really having difficulties seeing the piece as a merely fictional one, or for some reason want to plunge in your convictions wherever and whenever you have the chance to.
You've said a couple of times I have trouble seeing the piece as a merely fictional world, but you are yet to provide any proof. Where's this attitude I'm sensing in all your posts coming from?

How exactly am I plunging my conviction in wherever I can. I watched the series, I wasn't thinking the whole time "how can I bring atheism in here?" and then I had a very sad bittersweet reaction to the ending. I wondered why I had this reaction when other: friends, people on the internet didn't have nearly the same reaction.

How could an anime that leaves most of the interpretation up to the viewer attempt to shove anything down your throat? In a horror movie, if they show someone getting decapitated, then how horrifying that scene is is based on how scary you think decapitations are. If all you hear is the person screaming and they don't show what happens, than many viewers dredge up the most horrifying thing they can think of. Of course the second one is going to be far more scary because it uses your own brain rather than your reaction to what someone else thinks is scary. It's the same with this series, my reaction is not going to be the same as anyone elses because they leave many things up to your own interpretation. I viewed the ending and subconsciously reacted to it; it was only after thinking a while did I realize why I had this reaction.

Why else would my reaction to the girls doing the Ri Marjon and their dance at the end be like daylight and dark to my friends interpretation? He thaught it was happy they got to be eternal maidens and sad that the other girls never got to and had to live on and grow up. I thought that their eternal maiden status wasn't all it was cracked up to be and felt bad for them and though the others had far happier lives.

Then there is another guy I talk to who thinks Nevril and Aaeru were symbolic from the beginning of a state of pure innocent-that they would never attain, and addolescence that they would grow out of. I'm not saying there aren't any holes in these, just that we had different intepretations based on what struck us.
porous_shield is offline   Reply With Quote